Unit 1 with Moishele Alfonso
Unit 1: Sholem-aleykhem! with Moishele Alfonso
Lomir zikh lernen in eynem—let’s learn together!
Learn Yiddish in a new intensive, online Yiddish-language class for beginners, using the Yiddish Book Center’s award-winning new Yiddish textbook, In eynem. Held twice a week over Zoom, these classes offer an in-depth introduction to Yiddish language, covering all aspects of learning, including oral and written communication, grammar, vocabulary, pronunciation, and culture.
- Vocabulary: Greetings, introductions, geography, basic verbs, numbers, days of the week
- Grammar: Present tense verb conjugations, pronouns, word order
- Culture: Folksongs, brief history of Yiddish
- This course is designed for students with no prior Yiddish language experience.
- Students are expected to actively participate in all twelve class sessions and complete the assigned homework.
- Students are expected to familiarize themselves with the Yiddish alphabet before the program begins.
- Students must have a computer with a webcam and microphone, Internet access, and some proficiency with Zoom.
- Students must have a copy of In eynem: The New Yiddish Textbook.
Classes are held Tuesays and Thursdays. Class is from 6–7:30pm Eastern Time, with a short break in the middle.
Nov. 9, 11, 16, 18, 23, 28*, 30
Dec. 2, 7, 9, 14, 16
*Class on Thanksgiving is rescheduled to Sunday, 11/28.
Cost: $300 for members, $350 for nonmembers. The required textbook is sold separately at $100 in our online store.
Cancellation Policy: Cancellations by October 25 will be refunded, minus a $30 administration fee. Unfortunately, we are unable to provide refunds for cancellations after October 25.
About the Instructor:
Moishele Alfonso was born in Memphis, TN and received his BA in German and French from the University of Memphis. He attended the YIVO Summer Program in 2018 and participated in the Yiddish Book Center’s Yiddish Pedagogy Program in 2018-2019. Moishele has taught both beginners and intermediate-advanced adult students at Beth Torah Synagogue in Aventura, FL, as well as 7th-9th grade former students of Sholem Aleichem College in Melbourne, Australia. In 2021, he taught beginners in the Yiddish Book Center's YiddishSchool, as well as in the Steiner Summer Yiddish Program.