Translating Yiddish Literature:
Mobilizing a New Generation
A Working Conference at the Yiddish Book Center in Amherst, MA
Saturday, November 12 – Sunday, November 13, 2011
The Yiddish Book Center and the Fund for Translation of Jewish
Literature are proud to announce a working conference entitled,
“Translating Yiddish Literature: Mobilizing a New Generation.” The event
will take place at the Yiddish Book Center in Amherst, MA on Saturday
evening, November 12, and Sunday, November 13, 2011. Established and
aspiring translators, publishers, students and scholars are invited to
This conference comes at a moment of great urgency and
promise. Less than two percent of Yiddish literature has been translated
to date, and despite recent efforts (such as the New Yiddish Library),
at the current rate it will be another 25,000 years before all Yiddish
titles are accessible to English readers.
The goal of the
conference, therefore, is to spark a concerted, all-out effort to
translate the best of Yiddish literature into English. Panel discussions
will explore a number of practical issues:
- What works should be translated?
- How can we make use of new media and online publishing?
- How do we train a new generation, and what resources do they need to succeed?
The conference will begin with dinner and an opening session after
Shabbos on Saturday evening, and conclude by 3 PM Sunday. A complete
schedule and list of panelists follows.
The subsidized fee for
the conference, including kosher dinner and lunch at the Center, is $25
per person. We’ve arranged for discounts at local hotels. (You’ll need
to make your own reservations.) Please direct inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Space is limited, so we suggest you register early. The deadline for registration is October 10.
|5:45 - 7:00 PM
Registration and buffet dinner
|7:00 - 7:15 PM
Welcoming remarks by Aaron Lansky, Founder and President of the Yiddish Book Center
|7:15 - 8:00 PM
Keynote address, Lawrence Rosenwald, Wellesley College
|8:15 - 9:30 PM
25,000 Titles to Go: The Current State of Yiddish Translation
- Anita Norich, University of Michigan
- Zachary Baker, Stanford University
|9:00 - 10:30 AM
New Media, New Readers: Publication in the Digital Age
- Chair: Ilan Stavans, Amherst College
- Susan Harris, Words without Borders
- Joshua Lambert, New York University, Tablet
|10:45 - 12:15 PM
What Do New Yiddish Translators Need to Succeed?
- Chair: Justin Cammy, Smith College
- Rebecca Margolis, University of Ottawa
- Barbara Harshav, Yale University; President, American Literary Translators Association
- Solon Beinfeld, Washington University (ret.); editor-in-chief, Boston-Medem Yiddish-English Dictionary
|12:30 - 1:30 PM
|1:30 - 2:30 PM
Group Discussion: Next Steps
|2:30 - 3:00 PM
Closing remarks / Plan of Action